Our Atlanta child injury law firm has reviewed many serious injury claims related to playgrounds and play areas in and around Atlanta. Atlanta area parks, schools, and childcare facilities have indoor and outdoor playgrounds, which allow children to exercise, play, and develop social and motor skills. Kids need to play, but they need to do so in a safe environment. The good news is that playgrounds can be made safe fairly easily and without much cost to the property owner. The bad news is that all too often, day cares, recreational companies (such as “jump” houses and trampoline parks), and restaurants with play areas, fail to inspect, monitor, and supervise these playgrounds. Resources for making play areas safe are readily available. For example, some outstanding resources for child playground safety are as follows:
- The Consumer Product Safety Commission (“CPSC”) publishes a handbook, which sets forth detailed rules and regulations pertaining to the safe operation of a playground in a commercial setting (such as a day care playground): https://www.cpsc.gov/PageFiles/122149/325.pdf
- Bright From The Start / Georgia Department of Early Care and Learning, the entity which monitors and regulates day cares in Georgia, also publishes rules and regulations that are applicable to playground safety:
- Many cities and counties in Georgia have their own, local, ordinances and rules that govern playground equipment, maintenance, and inspection. Some localities simply incorporate rules from the Consumer Product Safety Commission and/or Bright From The Start; however, some cities and counties have their own specific regulations for playgrounds and daycares located within their jurisdiction.
Our Atlanta child injury law firm has seen substantial injuries from playgrounds and daycares with play areas, such as:
• Brain injuries from falls, usually young children being allowed to climb age inappropriate equipment
• Arm and Leg Fractures from falls off of improperly maintained or used slides and swings
• Entrapment injuries, such as arm, leg, or finger fractures from gaps in equipment
• Burn injuries from overheated slides and swings
• Various injuries resulting from lack of supervision of children on the playground
• Inadequate staffing, resulting in failure to properly monitor children at play
• Allowing a wide age range of children to play together, often leading to injury to younger kids
Parents and those responsible for supervising children on playgrounds can work to minimize the chances of child injury by doing the following:
• Ensure that children only use age appropriate equipment
• Inspect equipment for broken pieces, loose bolts/nails, gaps which pose a danger to children (falling through) or allow for entrapment of a body part
• Have the child wear clothing that does not contain any loose strings or the like, which can become caught on equipment
• Closely supervise the child
• Ensure that the child uses the equipment as intended
• Encourage the child to play with other kids of similar age and size
• Leave cell phones and other digital distractions in a pocket or bag to allow for close monitoring of the child
Our child injury law firm welcomes the opportunity to provide a free consultation to the families of children injured at unsafe playgrounds and play areas.
Other Child Injury Practice Areas
Children And Truck Accidents
Unfortunately, many trucking companies and drivers place profits over people. Deliveries need to be made, regardless of bad weather, speed, truck maintenance issues, and driver fatigue. This reality is reflected in a company’s failing to hire qualified drivers, letting poorly trained drivers operate semi-trucks, and allowing the maximum hours for driving limits to be exceeded. The result of this profit over safety business model is serious personal injury to, and the wrongful death of, Georgia citizens, including many children.Read More
Children and Car Accidents
We routinely handle matters involving children and car accidents. Please check back soon, as our content for this page is being updated.
Kids and Bicycle Accidents
Despite the rapid rise in technology, bicycling remains a favorite pastime of children in Atlanta and all over Georgia. Kids ride their bikes on private and public property. Most parents are aware of modern safety trends, such as helmets and proper fitting and sizing for bicycles. However, children riding bikes on both private and public areas are, to some degree, reliant upon others—primarily motorists in cars and trucks—to lookout for them.Read More
Children and Dog Bites / Attacks
Our Georgia child injury law firm has represented many kids who have been attacked by dogs. Unfortunately, while most dogs are domesticated and friendly, some are aggressive, bite, and cause serious injury to children. While pit bulls are most commonly associated with dog attacks in Georgia, our law firm has represented kids who have been bitten and attacked by a wide variety of dog breeds. Usually, dog bites and attacks result in facial injuries and puncture wounds to the child’s neck, arms, and legs. Often, these injuries result in scarring that must be treated surgically.Read More
Day Care Negligence
Parents in Atlanta and all over Georgia entrust their children to day cares every day. Undoubtedly, many of these day cares are run by owners who have the best interests of Georgia kids in mind. Unfortunately, some day cares fall prey to the common motivation of many corporations—profits. And, over emphasis on profits at day cares means that safety loses. After all, day cares are usually operated as for-profit corporations in Georgia. There is no problem with that business model, as long as these companies, by and through their employees, treat Georgia’s children properly...Read More
Our Atlanta child injury law firm has reviewed many serious injury claims related to playgrounds and play areas at local day cares. Atlanta area parks, schools, and childcare facilities have indoor and outdoor playgrounds, which allow to children to exercise, play, and develop social and motor skills. Kids need to play, but they need to do so in a safe environment. The good news is that playgrounds can be made safe fairly easily and without much cost to the property owner. The bad news is that all too often, day cares, recreational companies (such as “jump” houses and trampoline parks), and restaurants with play areas, fail to inspect, monitor, and supervise these playgrounds.Read More
Drowning Accident and Swimming Pool Injury
Drowning, near-drowning, and pool-related injuries are an all-too-common occurrence in Atlanta and all around Georgia. If you or a loved one has suffered an injury at a pool, we encourage you to call our Atlanta injury law firm for a free consultation.
A swimming pool accident or drowning may be the result of negligence by a homeowner, corporation, apartment complex, park, or private club. If a friend or loved one has experienced any injury or death as a result of the use of a pool, we encourage you to call our Atlanta swimming pool accident law firm.Read More
IV injuries occur when the fluid that is pumping through the IV, which is supposed to go directly into the child’s veins, “escapes” the IV catheter and flows into the surrounding tissue instead of the bloodstream. Fluids and medications can be either non-vesicant (meaning not irritating to the surrounding tissue) or vesicant (meaning caustic or irritating to surrounding tissue). Vesicant fluids and medication have the capability of causing injury more quickly; however, even non-vesicants may cause substantial harm to a patient because fluids or medication leak into areas of the body which are not able to tolerate increased pressure or fluid build up.Read More
Amusement Park Injuries
We routinely handle matters involving amusement park injuries. Please check back soon, as our content for this page is being updated.
We routinely handle matters involving molestation cases. Please check back soon, as our content for this page is being updated.
Dangerous Child Products
We routinely handle matters involving dangerous child products. Please check back soon, as our content for this page is being updated.
Traumatic Brain Injuries
Families in Atlanta, and all over Georgia, have experienced the devastating effects of childhood brain injury as a result of the negligence or recklessness of another person or corporation. Our Atlanta based child injury law firm takes great pride in assisting Georgia families to secure the appropriate financial recovery for children with serious injuries from auto and trucking accidents, day care negligence, dangerous products, and other causes of childhood brain injury...Read More
We routinely handle matters involving spine injuries. Please check back soon, as our content for this page is being updated.
We routinely handle matters involving leg fractures. Please check back soon, as our content for this page is being updated.
We routinely handle matters involving arm fractures. Please check back soon, as our content for this page is being updated.
Closed Head Injuries / Concussions
We routinely handle matters involving closed head injuries/concussions. Please check back soon, as our content for this page is being updated.